Monday, July 6, 2009

I Dream of Jeanie with the Silver Stole

My Jeanie: Jaggerspun sport-weight Zephyr wool-silk yarn in a very light gray with a a metallic silver carry.

Here she is in all her glory:


The stole was designed for a thinner yarn than I chose, so I dropped the two side cables and used 4 intertwining cables for the mid-section instead of 6, for a stole of about the same width as the original design. I knit the length according to instructions. My Jeanie blocked to 20.5" x 82" (not counting fringe), about perfect for width and a good foot longer than specified by the design.

Jeanie was fun to knit, with the interesting exchange cables and the drop stitches and the edge stitches knit through the back loop. The pattern took longer to learn than usual, however. It just took time to figure out what the chart was trying to do.

One of the fun things about the design is dropping the stitches, both in the midst of knitting and at the very end. Here's the stole with the big ladders undropped:



And then dropped:



And another blocking picture:


The other thing I changed was to carry the exchange cables down into a fringe instead of finishing with a plain cable knit sideways. I like the way this worked with the overall design, and I also like the way it looks when the stole is worn.

No comments: