Monday, July 16, 2007

Knee-High by the 4th of July

But it's not corn, it's SOCKS!




This is (drumroll) the first pair of socks that I've knit that actually fit my foot. Every other pair I've made has turned out too big. I've made socks that I can wear to bed on cold winter nights (a lovely tan pair that came up to my knees) and socks that I can wear over other socks (a crazily colored pair), but this is the first pair that I can wear as plain old, on-the-feet-under-the-shoes socks.




They're toe-up, which is an intriguing and satisfying way to knit a sock. And they're long enough to wear with dresses.

The cuffs were done on size 000 needles. I think I knit them more by feel than sight, since I'm not sure I can actually see the points on the needles.




Matisse modeled them for me. She calls them cozy. I told her I'm willing to share them, but that they have to live in my sock drawer, not hers.




I can't tell whether she agreed to that or whether she is simply biding her time.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Wow, those look great!!!

I haven't done toe up yet, but that's next. :-)