Monday, May 28, 2007

Gnittink for Keegs

My daughter loves Linux. She runs Ubuntu on her iMac, and she introduced games like SuperTux to her younger siblings.

In the summer of 2005, nothing would do for her sweaters except Unix mascots.



Here's the BSD daemon mascot.



And here's a close-up of the little daemons around the yoke.

I'm not totally satisfied with the big intarsia daemon on this sweater, and the colors turned out to be more dramatic than my daughter prefers. It looks Satanic rather than geeky, perhaps because of the blackness of the background.

I discovered that I passionately hate knitting with black yarn. It's too hard to see what's going on, much harder than with any other color.



The Linux mascot Tux turned out to be much more popular, both with my daughter and everyone else. Cute penguins are hard to resist.

And yes, Tux is wearing a Star Trek badge. He never takes it off unless he's taking a bath.



And here's the matching hat, with the brim rolled down so you can see the snowflake detail.

No comments: